[fxruby-users] QtRuby

gga ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar
Fri Jan 19 01:35:57 EST 2007

Jeroen van der Zijp wrote:
> Its not so big, and even then its a non-issue, since the library ought
> to be shared by multiple FOX applications as a DLL.
Here's the stats on my linux machine (stripped builds):
FXruby - fox16.so  - 22Mb (plus a group of 12 additional ruby files or so)
FOX1.6 - 12Mb

Ruby - fltk2.so - 2.9Mb (no additional ruby files needed)
fltk2.so - 1.1Mb (this includes fltk2_gl and fltk2_images.  without
those two, fltk2 is just 988Kb).

Trust me.  There's a significant difference in start-up times between a
22Mb toolkit and a 3Mb one, even on the latest hardware.
Sure, if you have multiple applications running (ideally, your window
manager) that use the toolkit, the startup times do become negligible.
Unfortunately, most people tend to use gnome or kde for their wm, so the
startup times of a third party library is still important.
I went back to fltk recently just because of that, because I needed to
code an image viewer for 3d applications and as such it just had to boot
almost immediately.  I was gladly surprised to find that fltk2 is now
finally usable.
> FOX has AA Fonts.  Just turn it on [./configure --with-xft=yes ... ].

Sorry for that.  I did not see mention of this anywhere and the Makefile
did not detect xft automatically  (as it probably should, if
installed).  You might want to look into that in the current Makefile.

--
Gonzalo Garramuño
ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar

AMD4400 - ASUS48N-E