[fxruby-users] QtRuby

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Thu Jan 18 15:53:45 EST 2007

On Jan 18, 2007, at 2:22 PM, Björn Bergqvist wrote:

> Has anyone tested QtRuby? I'm doing a small OpenGL application
> http://www.discretizer.org and just want to know the arguments for
> staying with fxruby.

Qt is an excellent GUI toolkit, and although I personally haven't
used Ruby/Qt, I believe it has a lot of fans in the Ruby community.

One significant difference between Qt and most of the other GUI
toolkits available for Ruby is the licensing arrangement. As stated
on Trolltech's web site, you can use Qt for free only if you are
writing Open Source software following the obligations of the GPL
license (see http://www.trolltech.com/developer/knowledgebase/118/).
Otherwise, you must purchase a commercial license. Furthermore, prior
to the release of Qt version 4, developers using the Windows version
of Qt were required to purchase a commercial license (regardless of
whether they were developing open source software).

You are correct about the lack of good documentation for FOX and
FXRuby. This has been a problem from the beginning, and it's unlikely
to change unless someone takes it upon themselves to do the work.
Like most open source software developers, I'm not paid to work on
FXRuby and I do so in my (fleeting) spare time. This is not to say
that I wouldn't pitch in and help if someone were to spearhead a
documentation effort; I'm just saying that, if it's up to me and me
alone, it's probably not going to happen any time soon.