[fxruby-users] Problem using foxGUIb

Ernest Ellingson erne at powernav.com
Tue Feb 20 13:06:18 EST 2007

Alan Lake wrote:
> Have you installed the Fox Gui  itself?  Yes
> Are you able to run any of the examples in the examples directory of the fox gem? I just tried hello.rb, figuring that if that wouldn't run, then nothing else would.
>
> /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.6.6/examples/hello.rb:3:in
> `require': no such file to load -- fox16 (LoadError)
>         from /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.6.6/examples/hello.rb:3
> However, I have
> /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.6.6/lib/fox16
> /usr/lib64/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.6.6/ext/fox16
>
> I also have a syntax problem with my .bash_profile export of RUBYOPT.  I
> wish to set both "w" and "rubygems".  I seem to be able to set either,
> but not both.  Can you give me the correct syntax, please?
>
> Ernest Ellingson wrote:
>
>> Alan Lake wrote:
>>

>>> I, too, installed fxruby as a gem on a 64-bit machine running Fedora
>>> Core 6.  I have not yet been able to run Fox with Ruby and get the same
>>> error message.  Following Ernie's lead, I modified foxGUIb.rb, adding
>>>     require "rubygems"
>>> just before
>>>     require "version"
>>> It appears that I crashing on the first code in this file
>>>     begin
>>>       require FOXGUIB_LIBRARY
>>>     rescue LoadError
>>>       puts "please install libGUIb!!"
>>>       puts $!
>>>       exit
>>>     end
>>> I don't know enough about this code to know what FOXGUIB_LIBRARY
>>> contains, or what it's supposed to contain, but I do know that I have a
>>> successful install of the library.
>>>
>>> Can someone advise me of the next step in resolving this problem?  Thanks.

>> Have you installed the Fox Gui  itself?  Are you able to run any of the
>> examples in the
>> examples directory of the fox gem?
>>
>> Ernie

Just to clear up some confusion.  I believed I had installed fxruby as a
gem on my
linux (ubuntu) box,  I did not.  I downloaded the tarball and compiled
fxruby on that
machine.  Thus no need to require rubygems when running foxGUIb.rb.  It
runs fine on
the linux box with no alterations.

I'm not sure what is installed on a linux box when you install the
fxruby gem.  Although
looking at the size of the gem file, there must be a precompiled version
of Fox included in that
gem.

As for your problem.  Try putting in a require 'rubygems' in the example
files.  Does that allow
you to run foxGUIb?  Since I don't have the linux gem installed, I can't
help you much other than to
suggest making sure the ruby application knows where required files are
located.  Usually if libraries are installed
in Ruby the ruby knows about all the locations of those libraries.  When
you require 'rubygems', rubygems is in one of
those locations.  rubygems will know where to find fox16.

Ernie