[fxruby-users] FXRuby1.6.5 ?

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Wed Feb 7 08:56:46 EST 2007

On Feb 6, 2007, at 10:09 PM, Ernest Ellingson wrote:

>     This might help you.
> It's a message from me in Dec. 2001 to the ruby-talk forumn
>
> http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/vframe.rb?
> key=unicode&cginame=namazu.rb&submit=Search&dbname=ruby-
> talk&max=50&whence=0
>
> You should be able to convert unicode to utf8 using the code
> snippet there.  REXML incorporates that code into its parsers.

Thanks, Ernie, but I believe the problem that Aleksey is dealing with
is that he has (literal) strings in ISO-8859-5 (Latin/Cyrillic)
encoding, and he's wanting to pass those directly into FXRuby (e.g.
as the label for a button). However, as best I understand it, FOX
expects those strings to be UTF-8 encoded Unicode, so Aleksey needs
to do something to convert his ISO-8859-5-encoded strings into UTF-8
encoded Unicode, e.g.

	require 'iconv'

	button = FXButton.new(p, Iconv.new("iso-8859-8", "utf-8").iconv
(original_russian_text), ...)

-- Lyle