[fxruby-users] Support for Ruby 1.9?

Kevin Burge kevin.burge at systemware.com
Wed Apr 18 06:56:47 EDT 2007

As an extension developer myself, I wanted to try to use 1.9 on a
day-to-day basis before it's released, to make sure that I don't write
any new incompatible code, and to possibly contribute by reporting bugs
to various projects that don't seem to be 1.9 compatible sooner rather
than later.  IMO, it would be nice if, when 1.9 is finally released,
there are actually libraries that work with it beyond the standard stuff. :)

The main things that have affected me are:

in Ruby code:
String is not Enumerable (i.e. no each)
arity changes for blocks
send vs. funcall
Thread.critical not supported
using "case/when" with a colon, instead of "then" or ";", i.e. "when 7:

in Extension code:
rb_cvar_set takes 1 less arg
RB_STRING doesn't allow direct access anymore (I've been converting to
RB_STRING_LEN and RB_STRING_PTR (not sure if this is the right thing yet).

Also, YARV only supports native threads at this point, as far as I can tell.