[fxruby-users] A problem about updating an FXRuby program layout recursively

Axel Etzold AEtzold at gmx.de
Fri Sep 22 16:17:40 EDT 2006

Dear all,

I have a design question: assume we have an FXText field containing
a sentence

The <best> Ruby version is the current one.

with "best" highlighted, and there is a choice of words

| most wonderful |, | cutest |, | most effective |

to replace "best". To do the replacement, I want to just click on any of
three buttons. I want to iterate through all of the words of the sentence and I
only know the choice of words for replacement at runtime.
Now, if I click on the | most wonderful | - button, I want to have
a sentence

The most wonderful version of <Ruby>  is the current one.

i.e., "best" gets changed to "most wonderful", the next word Ruby gets highlighted,
and there should be a choice of buttons of words replacing "Ruby", like

| the computing language invented by Matz |,

which should be shown instead of

| most wonderful |, | cutest |, | most effective |.

I have written a method with a lot of evals in it, which calls itself, when the user
clicks on a button, and updates its arguments (move to the next word etc.)
to do the trick of updating the buttons, but I can only show the first set of buttons and replace the first word - the new buttons
for the next set of replacement words don't appear.
I rather randomly tried to call "app.update, app.recalc" etc., but none worked.

What am I missing ?

Thank you very much

Best regards

Axel
--
NEU: GMX DSL Sofort-Start-Set - blitzschnell ins Internet!
Echte DSL-Flatrate ab 0,- Euro* http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl