[fxruby-users] ruby-1.8.5 loads fox16.so more than once

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Fri Sep 1 07:35:37 EDT 2006

On Sep 1, 2006, at 1:48 AM, Joel VanderWerf wrote:

> Hi, all,
>
> After upgrading ruby from 1.8.4 to 1.8.5, loading fox16 causes a
> warning
> for each constant, and $" shows that the .so has been loaded more than
> once (see below).
>
> I remember reporting this long ago for ruby 1.9 [1]. Maybe something
> from 1.9 has now appeared in 1.8.5 that is causing this problem?
>
> Could it be that I just need to rebuild fox16 against the newer ruby?
>
> [1] http://blade.nagaokaut.ac.jp/cgi-bin/scat.rb/ruby/ruby-talk/117682

Well, this is no good. I'm seeing the same problem on Mac OS X with
fox16 built against Ruby 1.8.5 -- so I don't have any reason to
believe that rebuilding will make the problem go away. And I see that
you didn't get any responses to your post to ruby-core (did you?)

I guess I need to run this under the debugger and see what's going on
(i.e. why it's loading the shared object more than once). Surely the
semantics of require haven't changed?