[fxruby-users] Data Targets and message handlers [was: Default double-click in FXTable?]

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Wed Oct 11 10:51:34 EDT 2006

On Oct 10, 2006, at 11:17 AM, Philippe Lang wrote:

> I'm convinced it is not the problem: under FXRuby, message handling
> has been implemented using "PseudoTargets", in order to simplify
> the way you write message handlers. Connecting a handler to a
> widget changes its target (the new target is the pseudo target!).
> So if you previously set the target of widget to an FXDataTarget,
> the link gets lost after you connect the handler.
> This makes FXDataTarget objects pretty useless under FXRuby...

Unless I'm misunderstanding what it is that you're trying to do, this
has nothing to do with FXRuby. A FOX widget (such a FXTextField) can
only have a single message target. That target object can be an
FXDataTarget, or it can be some other object that responds to
messages, but there can only be one. You can't (directly) connect an
FXTextField to, say, both an FXDataTarget and some other object that
handles SEL_KEYPRESS and SEL_KEYRELEASE messages sent from the