[fxruby-users] Multitab FXRuby Editor with movable tabs - possible?

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Tue Mar 21 22:30:24 EST 2006

On Mar 21, 2006, at 8:24 PM, Roebe XXX wrote:

> I want to make an editor in FXRuby, that shall feature (as
> my personal basic needs)
> - ruby syntax highlighting (and php ;>), in general though any
> kind of syntax highlighting words easily
> - tabs/buffers that have one file in them
> - ability to rearrange tabs, by clicking with mouse on them and
> move them to another position
> - vim like keybindings (optional)
> Anyway, i am asking whether this is possible.

I think that you will probably run into some of the same frustrations
that you did with Gtk, but it's just a guess. It will definitely be
difficult to figure out how to do the rearrangement of tabs via drag
and drop. And unless you're just insistent on developing the syntax
highlighting portion yourself, you might want to base the editor on
Scintilla (via FXScintilla).

So, is it possible? Maybe. Seems to me that it would be so much easier
to download one of the thousands of text editors that already do this
stuff and be done with it, but what do I know? ;)