[fxruby-users] ProgressiveSelectTextField

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Mar 1 15:18:35 EST 2006

Uwe Hartl wrote:
> I want to have a String: "blabla\(blabla" to make the "(" a normal character
> for the regex;

What string are you trying to match?  and I also suggest you post the
actual code.  The complication here is that if you are assigning to a
string and then using the string in an RE then there *two* levels of
quoting necessary, one for the string and one for the RE with the \
needing to be quoted twice and the ( once. i.e. to get a single \ in the
 RE you would need \\\\ in the string -- this gets unmanageable really
fast so I recommend not using variables in REs unless you really have to.

We need to see exactly what you are trying to do to solve this one there
are too many ambiguities.

Russell