[fxruby-users] [ANN] FXRuby 1.6.0 Now Available

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Mon Jun 5 20:55:37 EDT 2006

On Jun 5, 2006, at 6:14 PM, Charles D Hixson wrote:
> Sorry, I was quoting from http://www.fxruby.org/doc/gems.html where it
> says:
> "By default, the source gem will look for your FOX (and optionally,
> FXScintilla) installation in a few standard places, such as the /usr,
> /usr/local and /sw directories."

Yeah, that's talking about looking for the include files (e.g. in
/usr/include/fox-1.6, /usr/local/include/fox-1.6, etc.) so that it can
build the FXRuby extension.

> I had understood that to imply that it looked in /usr/local/lib, and I
> had understood you to be implying that it didn't.  (I was wrong...you
> were talking about setting:
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib
> which occurs towards the bottom of the document.  This did solve that
> problem, and now I'm back to the segmentation fault error that I was
> hoping fox16 would fix.

Right, the FXRuby installation process doesn't attempt to automatically
"fix" your ld.so.conf file settings that control how shared libraries
are loaded.

> Guess I'll need to try an new version of Ruby or Fox.  Ruby first, I
> think, since the new error message looks more like it was caught by
> Ruby:
> gui.rb:53: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i486-linux]

Have you filed a bug report about this yet? I'm not remembering this
one and I don't (think) I see it in the list at:

	http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1223&group_id=300&func=browse

If you're pretty sure it's some kind of FXRuby bug, please do go ahead
and file a bug report for it.

Thanks,

Lyle