[fxruby-users] FXTextField

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Tue Jan 24 14:05:06 EST 2006

On Jan 24, 2006, at 12:31 PM, Uwe Hartl wrote:

> Thanks, now I think I go a workaround, will see if I get the cursor
> position
> somehow out of the TextField. Say, is there somewhere better
> documentation
> for FXRuby than this webpage:
> http://www.fxruby.org/1.2/doc/api/index.html
> If I look at a class there, there are only a very few methods listed
> which are
> understood by the widget. If I do a Widget.public_methods.to_yaml I
> get a
> zillion of methods and I have to guess from the name what I need and
> can only
> try the real behavior of it.

All of the methods that I consider to be part of the public API (e.g.
for FXTextField) are documented in the RDoc documentation that you
alluded to. Is it possible that public_methods is also showing you all
of the widget's inherited methods as well (i.e. those defined in base
classes)? If so, you'd need to check the base class' documentation for
information for those.

> The messages understood by the TextField I had
> to Google for the information how this works. On the docs, the left
> hand
> uppper window with the file names, I don't know what this is good for,
> these
> do not tell me any information. On the right hand side, the Functions
> window
> also does not list all of the functions. What do I do wrong? Wich
> documentation do you use?

This is just the standard RDoc format, which has been a part of the
standard Ruby library for a while now. The "Files" frame in the upper
left hand corner lists all of the files that were processed to generate
the documentation. The "Methods" frame in the upper right-hand corner
lists methods but not attribute accessors; I'm not sure if there's a
way to have RDoc generate those or not.