[fxruby-users] Inheritance

Sascha Dordelmann sdruby at onlinehome.de
Sat Feb 11 07:22:32 EST 2006

Hi Uwe,

you wrote:
> I derived my idea to do it this way from this article:
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-07-1999/jw-07-toolbox_p.html
> http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-09-1999/jw-09-toolbox.html
>
> I like the ideas of this guy and try to follow it through. How do you
think
> about it after all?

I don't agree in seveal points. Two examples:

> get and set functions are evil

In UML you have something called "stereotype" of a class. How much sense
getters and setters make depends of the main purpose of an object. A minimal
entity object has no interface but getters and setters. The common mistake
of OO beginners is to think that the instance variables of a class define
the attributes of the class. This is not true. The getters and setters
describe the attributes. Instance variables are a means to store the data
which is needed to implement the getters and setters and the rest of an
objects interface.

> MVC is okay for implementing little things like buttons,
> but it fails miserably as an application-level architecture.

The model of an application window models the behavour of the window. You
will of course need need a domain-model in addition to the
application-model. This is not a problem with MVC but a problem with people
misunderstanding MVC.

Be suspicious if someone with a C++ and Java background trys to explain OO
to you. In addition to this the author tells you that everybody else is
wrong and he himself has got it right.

Cheers
Sascha