[fxruby-users] foxguib

lyle@knology.net lyle at knology.net
Thu Feb 9 16:55:41 EST 2006

On Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:40:31 +1300, Russell Fulton <r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz>
wrote :

> Thanks for the clarification -- you were responding to changes in Fox
> this makes more sense. Meinrad's email did not explain this and
> definitely left the impression that the changes were just in FXRuby.

Well, a lot of people (and I'm not suggesting that Henon is in this group)
don't make a distinction between FOX and FXRuby. They assume that I have the
power to fix bugs in FOX, to make decisions about its look and feel, etc. I
don't get the impression that people have that same confusion about other
GUI toolkits, like GTK and wxRuby, but what can you say or do?

> Hmmm... interesting since most of the apps I have come across that
> require older fox versions require 1.2.  I really don't want to install
> two versions (three when 1.6 comes out ?).

FXRuby 1.4 was released last August, but for whatever reasons, a lot of
projects never upgraded their applications from FXRuby 1.2. It would
probably have helped to provide some kind of porting guide, pointing out
every thing that changed between versions 1.2 and 1.4, but I was already
running late as it was and so that never materialized. Perhaps I will be
able to provide some better guidance for upgrading from 1.4 to 1.6, since I
seem to be *ahead* of the game with FXRuby 1.6 this time. ;)