[fxruby-users] foxguib

lyle@knology.net lyle at knology.net
Thu Feb 9 14:05:10 EST 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 19:38:01 +0200, Antti Karanta <Antti.Karanta at iki.fi> wrote :

>   So I compiled fox 1.2 and now the images look fine. It baffles me a little,
> though, that I did not recompile fxruby 1.2, so I guess it does not require
> the info about the availability of the image libraries at compile time? Even
> though it seemed to look them up?

When you compile FOX (the C++ library) it checks for the presence of (for
example) the PNG library and header file(s). If it finds them, then there is
PNG-specific code in the FOX source code that explicitly depends on the
declarations in the PNG header file(s). That's why it's so critical to make
sure that your FOX library was configured and built properly.

When you configure FXRuby, it also checks for the availability of the PNG
library so that it will be sure to link the FXRuby extension with that
library. It doesn't, however, contain any PNG-specific code. FXRuby depends
on FOX, which depends on PNG, so libpng still needs to show up in FXRuby's
link line.

I know it may be a little confusing. But I am glad to hear that things are
working properly for you now!