[fxruby-users] foxguib

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Feb 8 15:36:33 EST 2006

Antti Karanta wrote:
>>   The one thing I did not do is wipe out the old fox before I went through the
> compilation/installation dance. I figured that the old stuff will get
> overwritten. Besides, I have to admit I'm not quite sure how to remove a lib
> that is not under rpm - just delete the related files? That is, if you know
> what the files are and where they are...
>   Should I have done a
> make clean
>   before proceeding?

This is always a good idea.  check by looking at the time stamps on the
.o and the library files to see if they were in fact recompiled.

Whether or not you need to do a make clean depends of if the developer
made everything dependent on the make file which is all the configure

Now I just went for the ./configure -> make -> sudo make
> install thinking that make will notice the differences. Judging by the time
> the compile took at least most stuff was recompiled.
>   I also recompiled and reinstalled FXRuby. Among other things,
> ruby install.rb config
> let me know that
> checking for png_create_read_struct() in -lpng... yes
> checking for deflate() in -lz... yes
> checking for jpeg_mem_init() in -ljpeg... yes
> checking for TIFFSetErrorHandler() in -ltiff... yes
>   Any ideas?
>   BTW, I just tried again the FXRuby examples and the pics on those (at least
> the ones I looked at) are shown fine. What is not working are the png:s in
> foxguib.
this certainly seems to suggest that things were recompiled and that the
  library picked up the new libraries.