[fxruby-users] foxguib

Antti Karanta Antti.Karanta at iki.fi
Wed Feb 8 15:15:02 EST 2006

On Tuesday 07 February 2006 19:42, lyle at knology.net wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Feb 2006 19:16:13 +0200, Antti Karanta <Antti.Karanta at iki.fi>
wrote :
> >   What magic do I need to perform to get support for the optional image
> > formats on linux?
>
> I've never used SuSE Linux and so I'm unfamiliar with their package naming
> conventions, etc. but you'll want to install the "developer" packages for
> PNG, JPEG and TIFF -- the ones that have the include files (and not just
> the shared runtime libraries) in them.
>
> Once you've installed those packages, you will need to wipe out your
> previous FOX build and do the "configure; make; make install" dance again.
> Pay attention during the "configure" step to confirm that it finds the
> PNG/JPEG/TIFF stuff when it checks for it (it should say something like
> "checking for PNG.... yes".

  Ok, I installed the dev packages for the image libraries and when
running ./configure I got

checking jpeglib.h usability... yes
checking jpeglib.h presence... yes
checking for jpeglib.h... yes

checking png.h usability... yes
checking png.h presence... yes
checking for png.h... yes

checking tiff.h usability... yes
checking tiff.h presence... yes
checking for tiff.h... yes

  So I guess that means I should be getting the pics... but no.

  The one thing I did not do is wipe out the old fox before I went through the
compilation/installation dance. I figured that the old stuff will get
overwritten. Besides, I have to admit I'm not quite sure how to remove a lib
that is not under rpm - just delete the related files? That is, if you know
what the files are and where they are...

  Should I have done a
make clean
  before proceeding? Now I just went for the ./configure -> make -> sudo make
install thinking that make will notice the differences. Judging by the time
the compile took at least most stuff was recompiled.

  I also recompiled and reinstalled FXRuby. Among other things,
ruby install.rb config
let me know that

checking for png_create_read_struct() in -lpng... yes
checking for deflate() in -lz... yes
checking for jpeg_mem_init() in -ljpeg... yes
checking for TIFFSetErrorHandler() in -ltiff... yes

  Any ideas?

  BTW, I just tried again the FXRuby examples and the pics on those (at least
the ones I looked at) are shown fine. What is not working are the png:s in
foxguib.

         -Antti-