[fxruby-users] create issue

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Thu Feb 2 08:20:00 EST 2006

On Feb 2, 2006, at 5:45 AM, Meinrad Recheis wrote:

> but how about fxruby putting out a warning  "warning: trying to create
> window before creating parent window." (a linenumber would be
> confortable) and simply ignore that call if the application is not yet
> created?
> it would allow to reuse code without needing to worry about the
> create-order-issue.

Henon,

I've added a feature request
(http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?
func=detail&aid=3425&group_id=300&atid=1226) on this one; I'm going to
have to think about it. It definitely won't happen in FXRuby 1.4, but
it is something we can consider doing for FXRuby 1.6 (which is just
waiting on a final release of FOX 1.6).

All of the confusion surrounding when you need to call create(), and
when you shouldn't, etc. is probably the biggest problem that new FOX
and FXRuby users deal with. I understand why Jeroen did things this
way, but it doesn't change the fact that I've answered more questions
about create() than I can count! So I'm definitely interested in doing
something(s) in the FXRuby binding to address the problem.

Thanks,

Lyle