[fxruby-users] Installing RubyFX on MacOS X 10.4.3

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Nov 20 21:44:56 EST 2005

Thanks to Lyle I now have everything compiling and installing without
obvious errors.  For the archive (if there is one) the problem was that
fink does not have dev versions (i.e. packages that includes the
compiler header files) of the many of the libraries.  What I did in the
end was to get the source of the packages from their respective homes
and install them from scratch.

This should have fixed the problem but for reasons completely beyond me
the new version of libjepg caused the build of some of the fox libraries
to die with errors relating to the table of contents and suggestions
that I should run ranlib on the library to rebuild the toc.  Running
ranlib did not fix the problem (surprise ;).  So I then reinstalled
libjpeg from fink over the version I build from source leaving the the
headers files in place.

This allowed fox to build and install without obvious errors.  Now
FXRuby setup died with an error saying it could not locate one
libtiff.3.dymn (or something like that)  I looked at the files in
/sw/lib and put a link in for this file pointing to the library which
had the full version number in its name.

Now everything appears to load and install nicely.

However (you guessed it ;) when I try and run the examples I get:

rful011 at bluebottle FXRuby-1.4.3]$examples/browser.rb
/sw/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/powerpc-darwin/fox14.bundle: [BUG] Bus Error
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [powerpc-darwin]

Abort trap

Confession time:
I did not disable GL in building fox as per instructions (reasoning: the
instruction appeared to be quite old -- I know tiger supports GL so I
decided to suck and see).

I also came across stuff on the web suggesting that the apple supplied
ruby was misconfigured and that one had to fiddle with  rbconfig.rb.  I
have not done this (on the grounds that one should not fix things until
you are sure they are broken ;)

So are the bus errors consistent with either of these potential issues
or should I be looking elsewhere.

When I get his going I volunteer to update the instructions for building
  stuff on a tiger using apples Xcode and fink.

Cheers, Russell