[fxruby-users] composite widgets

Jannis Pohlmann info at sten-net.de
Sun May 8 17:09:19 EDT 2005

Jacob Hanson schrieb:

>Hello list,
>Let's pretend I need to create some sort of composite widget... like
>a self-contained widget that had a series of other widgets built-in
>internally, like combo boxes and textfields. Ideally, I would like
>this composite widget to behave like a regular Fox widget and respond
>to layout hints.
>How would I go about this? Can I do it in FXRuby or does it have to be
>done in Fox/C? Do I need to subclass some sort of surface/container widget like
>FXScrollArea or FXWindow or can I just use a generic class?
>Any direction is appreciated!
Hello Jacob.

Yu can actually do this in FXRuby.

Usually, you'd subclass a container widget like FXPacker, FXMatrix or
FXVerticalFrame. That's the most
preferable way to easily to manage and react child widgets. Even in C++
that's the best solution since
most of the child wigets are going to be automatically destroyed by
their parent, then.