[fxruby-users] Does anyone have access to an x86-64 box?

Shad Sterling polyergic at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:25:03 EST 2005

On 14 Mar 2005 22:10:19 -0000, lyle at knology.net <lyle at knology.net> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:29:07 -0500, Shad Sterling <polyergic at gmail.com> wrote :
>
> > I'm running PLD, and have installed ruby-1.8.2-2.20040906.4.  I looked
> > for a ruby-libs package (in poldek; using primarially
> > ftp://ftp.amd64.ac.pld-linux.org/dists/ac/PLD/amd64/PLD/RPMS/ ), and
> > failed to find one.  I thought the package ruby-static might have
> > them, but apparently not.
> >
> > What am I missing here, to get the ruby headers?
>
> I'm having trouble finding a list of the packages available for PLD Linux
> (I'm just not all that familiar with that distro), but for a lot of distros
> the header files are off in a separate package with a name like "ruby-devel"
> or the like. There's often a distinction between the basic runtime support
> package (i.e. the interpreter and standard libraries -- just what you need
> to run Ruby programs) and the developer support package (which would
> additionally include the header files).
>
> Is there maybe a way to search through PLD's packages for the one that
> contains the file "ruby.h"? That might be a way to pin it down.

Duh.  The PLD package ruby-devel has the headers.  I don't think of
installing as a developer task, so I didn't think of looking at the
developer packages.  (Nevermind that fxruby is more or less a
developer tool...)

It turns out that I can't use the gem to run that file anyway, I had
to build fxruby from source, which was easy enough except that I
didn't see a list anywhere of which -devel packages need to be
installed.  (Looks like ruby, fox, and glibc.)

Now that I have everything installed, I can run the file, and it exits
cleanly after almost .5s.  Whatever the problem is, it appears to not
occur under PLD.

 - Shad