[fxruby-users] Thinking about Rails and FXRuby

Joel VanderWerf vjoel at PATH.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Mar 22 14:53:15 EST 2005

lyle at knology.net wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:06:53 -0500, Berin Loritsch <bloritsch at d-haven.org>
> wrote :
>>It is possible....
>>In order to make it work seemlessly, you will have to have some
>>automatic binding library do the work for you.  The SmallTalk world
>>used ValueHolders that would send events when the property changed
>>allowing both the model and the view to update themselves accordingly.
>>JGoodies followed the same pattern for its binding API.
> I'm not yet familiar with ValueHolders or JGoodies, but what you're
> describing reminds me a little of how data targets work in FXRuby. Also Joel
> VanderWerf's FoxTails extensions.

FoxTails (and observable) are, to me anyway, more ruby-like ways to do
what FXDataTarget does. YMMV wildly.

I think using the dynamic nature of ruby to generate UI from
specification is a good idea. I'm not very familiar with rails, but
maybe you mean, for example,  widgets that automatically configure
themselves to talk to a database? Sounds cool...

Btw, FoxTails has an experimental feature to do this with hierarchical
(not relational) data. If you have a data structure that is tree-like
(or more general actually), you can wire it up to a tree browser.