[fxruby-users] Thinking about Rails and FXRuby

lyle at knology.net lyle at knology.net
Tue Mar 22 09:19:24 EST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:06:53 -0500, Berin Loritsch <bloritsch at d-haven.org>
wrote :

> It is possible....
>
> In order to make it work seemlessly, you will have to have some
> automatic binding library do the work for you.  The SmallTalk world
> used ValueHolders that would send events when the property changed
> allowing both the model and the view to update themselves accordingly.
> JGoodies followed the same pattern for its binding API.

I'm not yet familiar with ValueHolders or JGoodies, but what you're
describing reminds me a little of how data targets work in FXRuby. Also Joel
VanderWerf's FoxTails extensions.

> I did some work on a layout engine for Java Swing a while back to
> provide a simple form oriented layout language.  I had a good start,
> but never finished.
>
> However to have automatic layout work (even with a language) it helps
> to have a working layout manager.  That layout manager is responsible
> for orienting the labels and fields, sizing the form to accomodate
> different lengths for internationalized text, etc.

I'm not sure how to read this last part. Are you implying that FOX doesn't
already have a "working" layout manager? If not, what is it that you feel is
missing from FOX's layout manager choices?

> > And as a side thought, would it be practical to build a
> > CSS-like layer on top of fxruby?
>
> ??  Probably not.  GUIs are not HTML sheets, having a good layout
> manager is beneficial though.

I'm not sure if this is what Hal was getting at, but I've often thought it
would be useful to have some kind of external file in which you could
specify certain visual aspects of a FOX application more easily. One could
argue that the FOX registry already provides a mechanism for setting user
preferences (such as which font to use, which color scheme, etc.) but it's a
bit awkward to edit those registry settings and to swap out one entire set
of, um, settings for another set of settings (as opposed to the ease of
swapping out CSS stylesheets on the fly for a Web site).