[fxruby-users] FXFileDialog.getOpenFilenames() question

Jeroen van der Zijp jeroen at fox-toolkit.org
Wed Jan 19 13:55:27 EST 2005

On Wednesday 19 January 2005 02:30 pm, DeZonia, Barry wrote:
> FxRuby 1.2.2 on Windows with Ruby 1.8.2
> I'm using FXFileDialog.getOpenFilenames() passing nil for the path and I'm
> having a little difficulty. Specifically how does getOpenFilenames determine
> the initial path to use when nil is passed in? On my system its defaulting

If the filename is NULL or "", the current working directory is used to
construct the absolute path.

> to a path it somehow chose with the long name "c:\InputTestFiles" replaced
> with the DOS short name "c:\INPUTT~1". This causes problems with my app.
> (Note that C:\InputTestFiles is a directory on my system)

Are you running old VFAT filesystem?  NTFS should have no problems...
> On a related note I've seen FxRuby/FOX sometimes replace full paths from
> FXFileDialog with DOS shortened paths. Any ideas why?

This is probably a VFAT peculiarity.  It does not happen on NTFS as far
as I know.

At any rate, FOX itself does not "violate" the filenames this way.  Some
system call inside Windows must be doing this.

	- Jeroen