[fxruby-users] FXFileDialog.getOpenFilenames() question

lyle at knology.net lyle at knology.net
Wed Jan 19 14:46:28 EST 2005

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:30:56 -0600, "DeZonia, Barry" <bdezonia at wisc.edu> wrote :

> I'm using FXFileDialog.getOpenFilenames() passing nil for the path and I'm
> having a little difficulty. Specifically how does getOpenFilenames determine
> the initial path to use when nil is passed in? On my system its defaulting
> to a path it somehow chose with the long name "c:\InputTestFiles" replaced
> with the DOS short name "c:\INPUTT~1". This causes problems with my app.
> (Note that C:\InputTestFiles is a directory on my system)
> On a related note I've seen FxRuby/FOX sometimes replace full paths from
> FXFileDialog with DOS shortened paths. Any ideas why?

I will need to dig into the C++ source code for FOX to answer these
questions (unless you want to try posing the questions over on the FOX
mailing list). That is to say, these behaviors are defined by the FOX
library itself and not directly related to the FXRuby binding.

My hunch for the first question is that it defaults to the process' current
working directory (i.e. perhaps you started the Ruby interpreter in the
C:\InputTestFiles" directory, or changed directories to that directory?).