[fxruby-users] FxRuby 1.2.2 and earlier: various FxFileDialog errors

DeZonia, Barry bdezonia at wisc.edu
Tue Jan 4 13:04:51 EST 2005

I've been porting my FxRuby 1.0.28 app to 1.2.2 and I've come across a
number of errors.

Fatal runtime error
  Using the FXFileDialog attribute "filenames" results in a method not found
error when it is invoked. This is true for both FxRuby 1.2.2 and 1.0.28.
This is especially problematic as the only way to get the filenames out of
the dialog that I can find is to use a class member other than new as the
constructor (such as getOpenFilenames) which results in diminished
functionality (e.g. you can't remember and use the last directory and
pattern specified by the user) since getOpenFilenames returns an array of
selected files.

Runtime error with workaround
  When you specify the path in getOpenFilenames as a directory the dialog
starts one directory up. For instance, if you specify c:\images\8bit as the
directory you want to show it shows c:\images instead and selects 8bit in
the file field. This can be worked around by making sure the path you pass
in ends in "/" or "\".

Documentation errors
  getOpenFilenames, getOpenDirectory, getOpenFilename, and getSaveFilename
don't specify what they return. The parameter "initial" passed to three of
them has no description and is too opaque for me to figure out what it is.