[fxruby-users] Graphics printing with FXRuby?

David Peoples davidp at touringcyclist.com
Mon Feb 21 00:05:13 EST 2005

What is the current recommendation for sending output to printers from
FXRuby-based applications? I don't get much out of the documentation for
the FX*Print* classes, and gather from my initial review of the
foxgui-users archive that the underlying Fox "print" objects don't
actually work, anyway. (?) I notice that the Fox Adie demonstration
program doesn't print on my (Windows) system. Haven't tested it under
Linux yet.

I need to print fairly involved reports, multi-page with headers and
footers and embedded graphics. I need the solution to work on both
Windows and Linux, although the solution doesn't have to be the same on
both platforms, just produce essentially the same output on both.

Do people who print from their FXRuby programs settle for plain text
sent to a port? Do you just not print at all? (I see no mention of
printing in the fxruby-users archives.) I see some mention of it in
ruby-talk, but the only solution actually implemented seems to be some
variation on "write to a file, launch IE/Mozilla/Word and make it print
the file", a solution I'm not thrilled with. Any better ideas? Any code
samples?

David Peoples

--
David Peoples  davidp at touringcyclist.com  http://www.touringcyclist.com
The Touring Cyclist, 11816 St. Charles Rock Road, Bridgeton MO 63044