[fxruby-users] FxTopWindow problem

boxofsoxx-goognews@yahoo.com boxofsoxx-goognews at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 21 23:53:34 EST 2005

I have an fxRuby GUI app that I am having problems with. I want to bring up a help window from the main window when someone selects a help/help from the help menu. I have created a helpWindow that inherits from FXDialogBox. It has an FXMenuBar, FXStatusBar, and an FXtext which gets filled with help text from a file. When the help/help menu is selected from the main window, I make a new helpWindow, and call create on it. This all seems to work well, but I was unhappy with the look and feel of the FXDialog. I basically wanted something that looked like a real window, with minimize, restore, and close boxes in the upper right, and windowy ( if that's a word ) border.
  I tried using FXMainWindow, FXTopWindow, and FXWindow, but I am again faced with my arch nemesis of error messages:
  "This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
>Exit code: 3"
  I have gotten this is the past when I tried to use something that was not created yet, but I think I am creating everything this time. It is extremely frustrating that I can get the FXDialog, with identical code, to work just fine.
  Is there something special about FXTopWindow that requires some special considerations. I couldn't find any examples or mentions in the docs about using this. The description is of this function is a bit brief.