[fxruby-users] Installing RubyFX on MacOS X 10.4.3

Scott Willson scott at butlerpress.com
Sun Dec 4 17:27:13 EST 2005

On Dec 4, 2005, at 12:18 PM, Russell Fulton wrote:

> Scott Willson wrote:
>> Thought I'd follow-up on my earlier post. While it is possible to
>> compile libtiff, libjpeg, etc... on OS X without Fink or Darwin
>> Ports, I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy setting compiler
>> flags and modifying library search paths. It's not hard if you know
>> what you're doing, but most people should use Fink or Darwin Ports
>> for the dependent libs.
>>
> I have not looked at the darwin ports (I must at some stage) but fink
> does not have development version of the graphics libraries (i.e.
> packages that include the .h files as well as the libraries) so that
> when you come to build fox it builds without these libraries which in
> turn causes the build of foxxx.bundle to fail.
>
> That's why I had to reinstall the libraries from scratch after
> removing
> them from fink.
>
> Hmmm... just visited the Darwin Ports site and, so far as I can tell
> with out actually downloading and examining the packages they do not
> contain the include files.  I base this conclusion on the fact that
> some
> of the packages are classed as graphics-devel and others (including
> our
> friends are just graphics).
>
> I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.
>
> BTW as far as I can remember all three of the libraries compiled
> without
> any more configuration than ./configure and make.  I let them
> install in
> /usr/local/ and fox found them there without problems (it defines
> -L/sw/lib & -L/usr/local/lib).
>
> Russell.

Yeah, hmmm. It's hard to be definitive with the number of things that
can vary across installs, unless you take the time do a clean install
and record your steps.

I can say that I have FXRuby on an old PowerBook that has Tiger + dev
tools + Fink and not much else, and I've got this in /sw/include:
bzlib.h
curses.h
cursesapp.h
cursesf.h
cursesm.h
cursesp.h
cursesw.h
cursslk.h
eti.h
etip.h
form.h
iconv.h
jconfig.h
jerror.h
jmorecfg.h
jpeglib.h
libcharset.h
libintl.h
libpng -> libpng12
libpng12
localcharset.h
menu.h
ncurses.h -> curses.h
ncurses_dll.h
panel.h
png.h -> libpng12/png.h
pngconf.h -> libpng12/pngconf.h
term.h
termcap.h
tiff.h
tiffconf.h
tiffio.h
tiffvers.h
unctrl.h

So I'd wager that Fink does install the header files. I have "use
unstable" set, and I installed the libjpeg, libjpeg-bin, and libjpeg-
shlibs packages.

I'm not as sure about Darwin Ports, as I used that on a much
"messier" PowerBook, but I've got libjpg.h, libpng.h, etc. in /opt/
local/include/

Hope those are helpful data points,
Scott