[fxruby-users] Installing RubyFX on MacOS X 10.4.3

Russell Fulton r.fulton at auckland.ac.nz
Sun Dec 4 15:18:30 EST 2005

Scott Willson wrote:
> Thought I'd follow-up on my earlier post. While it is possible to
> compile libtiff, libjpeg, etc... on OS X without Fink or Darwin
> Ports, I wouldn't recommend it unless you enjoy setting compiler
> flags and modifying library search paths. It's not hard if you know
> what you're doing, but most people should use Fink or Darwin Ports
> for the dependent libs.
I have not looked at the darwin ports (I must at some stage) but fink
does not have development version of the graphics libraries (i.e.
packages that include the .h files as well as the libraries) so that
when you come to build fox it builds without these libraries which in
turn causes the build of foxxx.bundle to fail.

That's why I had to reinstall the libraries from scratch after removing
them from fink.

Hmmm... just visited the Darwin Ports site and, so far as I can tell
with out actually downloading and examining the packages they do not
contain the include files.  I base this conclusion on the fact that some
of the packages are classed as graphics-devel and others (including our
friends are just graphics).

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong.

BTW as far as I can remember all three of the libraries compiled without
any more configuration than ./configure and make.  I let them install in
/usr/local/ and fox found them there without problems (it defines
-L/sw/lib & -L/usr/local/lib).