[fxruby-users] Two questions...

Gonzalo Garramuno ggarra at advancedsl.com.ar
Mon Aug 29 09:54:21 EDT 2005

1) In my GUI, I have dialog boxes that have groups of widgets that I want to create once and hide/show depending on some conditions.  The problem I am running into, is that fox/fxruby's packer seems to be unaware of hide/show and it does not recalculate the window to fit the visible widgets appropiately.  This results in windows that are either too wide or too small.  FOX only seems to recalculate the layout if I do any of the following:
a) Move the window.
b) Call a dummy resize (but this also changes focus).
I've tried to call layout() and recalc() but this does not work.  Thus... the question is... how do I get Fox to update the layout of a window if I hide/unhide some frames without changing window focus?

2) FXRuby versioning.  Is there a particular reason why each main fxruby release is given a new name for its require (we've had fox, fox12 and fox14 so far)?  While I understand that there may be incompatabilities between releases, this sort of naming convention kind of goes against the grain of rubygems, where versioning is to be handled automatically upon require (not to mention it is a pain in the neck to have to change your code with each fox release, even if the new release didn't change substantially the api).  Could I suggest that with fox1.4 on, we revert back to just "require 'fox'" and let rubygems (or users' ruby include path) handle the versioning?