[fxruby-users] GUI update and threads

Kevin Burge kevin.burge at systemware.com
Fri Aug 19 11:45:31 EDT 2005

Hi, I'm trying to write an "installer" application.  I want a
progressdialog to show the status, while the long running process is
done by another thread/process or something.  I cannot get this to
work.  I was using a pipe for communication after forking to do the
"long running process", and that basically worked, except that I'd get X
Fatal Errors or async errors every now and then (I'm not an X
programmer).  So, I tried enabling threads in the app, and using a
thread instead to do the work (so that they GUI would actually update as
the installation progressed), and now, when I send ID_ACCEPT to the
modal ProgressDialog, after the thread finishes, the system is in lala
land (i.e. progressdialog.execute never returns).

Is there a faq somewhere on using threads w/ FXRuby?  Has anyone else
needed to do a long running process in either a separate thread or
separate process and been able to retain GUI responsivness?

Using FXRuby 1.2.6.

Please visit http://www.systemware.com/