[fxruby-users] GUI Update technique

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 09:16:22 EDT 2005

Excellent! Thanks Lyle.

I guess I have been playing my cards a bit close to my chest if I
really want any good interaction on my project.

The reasons for this are far less draconian than you might imagine: so
many good projects get started, and for what evever reason, good or
bad, get abandoned. In the end, it always makes the project owner
look, shall we say, less than dilligent.

So I'll go out on a limb here.

What I'm doing is a basic two-paned tabbook (ala the tabbook example).
In the first pane is status information about a (potential) secure
shell connection. In the second (tab) pane is a very simple dual-paned
directory listing. The one on the left, the local working directory.
The one on the right, the working directory at the far end of the
connection. Simple drag and drop will be used to indicate which set of
files will be transferred, to or from the local host.

The options to start  and manage a connection are provided via the
application menus, and all parameters for the connection are gathered
via modal dialog(s). Sensible (from a standpoint of application
startup) defaults will be provided by the application.

The idea is to leverage Net::SSH to provide a secure network file
manager that can operate with all the conveniences and security of the
SSH protocol, in combination with a simple and intuitive (well, at
least commonly known and widely understood ;)  UI provided by the Fox
GUI Toolkit.

I see the connect status pane as something that can be updated purely
by this SEL_UPDATE signal; however, the timer-based update of the
directory panes is still a neccesity as we have no way to get a signal
from the remote host when the remote working directory is updated;
polling the remote host for a new listing of the remote directory is
the obvious solution (do correct me if you think there might be a
better way :)

Thanks again Lyle!

Cheers,
Twitch