[fxruby-users] GUI Update technique

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 22:48:10 EDT 2005

Hello Lyle, Everyone :)

I've been putting some of the stuff Lyle was telling me last week
about using create after defining new widgets outside of the
initialize method for an app class, in order to get them to show up. I
was attempting to update the content in a tab as the values associated
with the content changed over time. Iwas attempting to drive this
update myself using a timed event.

Due to some of the cumbersome things I came up with while trying to
manually manage the UI elements in this fashion, I'm thinking there
has to be a better way, and I'm thinking I stumbled onto it this
morning while reading some of the documentation.

Is the best way to do this to create all the top-level widgets (and
their children) for an interface, and implement the update signals?
Seems then I'd be able to create all the primary widgets, let the app
change the values and send update signals back to the widgets and let
them manage repainting themselves with the new values.

Am I on the right track? if so, can anyone toss me any gems of wisdom
before I try to get my head around the details?

Thanks All!
Twitch