[fxruby-users] Greetings and Introduction

James Stallings II james.stallings at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 08:29:17 EDT 2005

Hello Listos!

My name is James, but I do a lot of artwork under my nickname, 'twitch'.

I am a forty+ yrs old full-time Fine Arts Major, who has spent most of
the previous 25 years or so as a sysadmin and frequent programmer.
Most of my programming experience is with plain old C, with a pretty
good shot of PERL or other shell scripting at frequent intervals.

I discovered ruby about six month ago on deli.cio.us, and I'll never

About two weeks ago I discovered ruby GTK+ and started playing with
that (I'm a long-time user of linux) but then discovered that it isn't
fully supported under windows, which is where I presently need to
deploy product, and so I switched over to  the Fox gui toolkit.

It's wicked; at least as wicked as GTK+.

Unfortunately I'm rather new to the practice of gui programming, if
not the theory; and I am having a bitch of a time getting some
blisteringly simple stuff to work (timer-driven callback to update a
horizontal frame in a tabbook with updated text values).

If someone would be so kind as to point me towards the list digest(s)
I would be delighted to go to and do the requisite research there
before I start verbally pummeling you all for support.

I would like to say on my way out that Ruby is an awesome thing and
thanks to Matz and all the crew who brought it to be.

Thanks In Advance,

Woulds't thou so blame
the fragrant blos'ms wilting
as never to've had her bloom?