[fxruby-users] FXListBox and SEL_PAINT messages?

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Sat Apr 30 21:39:59 EDT 2005

On Apr 27, 2005, at 1:21 PM, David Peoples wrote:

> The documentation says the FXListBox widget sends the SEL_COMMAND and
> SEL_CHANGED messages. It doesn't say anything about the SEL_PAINT
> message, and my test code (below), if correct, shows that FXListBox
> doesn't send that message. Is there a way to cause that message to be
> sent? I'm trying to alter the way an FXListBox displays itself.

Well, the problem is that FXListBox is what I sometimes refer to as a
composite widget: it's an FXPacker that basically houses a button to
pop up an FXList. In fact, if you look at the FOX source code, you'll
see that the FXListBox class doesn't even have an onPaint() method of
its own; it just relies on its child widgets to paint themselves as
they normally would.

So the short answer is, there's not a simple way to do this. But to get
to the point, what is it about the way that FXListBox displays itself
that you'd like to change? Maybe there's another way to approach this
problem...