[fxruby-users] Re: FXDataTarget used with FXRadioButton

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Wed Apr 27 19:46:21 EDT 2005

On Apr 27, 2005, at 6:28 PM, JDReed wrote:

> I apologize for emailing you directly instead of the list. This
> contains most of what I emailed to the list on 4-19. I've been pulling
> what's left of my hair out trying to figure this out.

No problem. Sorry I overlooked your previous message; I was out of town
on business on the 19th and it probably got lost in the shuffle.

> I have code in my initialize routine to set all of my radio buttons to
> –1, no choice. On a new entry, everything works fine.
>
> It’s when I go into a record that already exists that I have a
> problem. My application will correctly save and retrieve the radio
> button data from my database, MySQ.L When the display comes up, I can
> see the radio button is set to the correct value from the database,
> and then it slowly goes blank to the no choice (-1).

The way that data targets work can sort-of be summarized like this:

The only time a widget "pushes" its value back to the data target is
when the user physically clicks on the widget. So merely setting the
radio button's state using its checkState accessor method isn't going
to update the data targets' values.

In contrast, the widget is going to update its state from the data
target's value whenever it (the widget) gets a SEL_UPDATE message --
and that happens whenever there's some idle time in the GUI.

Based on this, and the code snippets that you showed, I'm guessing that
when you open up an existing database record, you're setting the radio
buttons' states directly instead of modifying the associated data
target. If that's the case, you want to modify your dbtofields() method
so that it's instead updating the data target values, e.g.

	def dbtofields
		sexDataTarget.value = -1 # I think?
		if @male == "X"
			sexDataTarget.value = 0
		end
		if @female == "X"
			sexDataTarget.value = 1

... or something along those lines. ;)

Hope this helps (and let me know if it doesn't),

Lyle