[fxruby-users] Re: FXRuby for fox-toolkit-1.4.11?
Jeroen van der Zijp
jeroen at fox-toolkit.org
Mon Apr 11 15:31:32 EDT 2005
On Monday 11 April 2005 11:34 am, Laurent Julliard wrote:
> Just speculating here but would it make sense to skip over FXruby 1.4
> and target 1.6 instead?
Of course, ultimately this will be completely up to Lyle....
However, I can see a few things:
1. FOX 1.6 will do almost all stuff with utf8, and software which
uses FOX will need to be aware of this; at least, all software
that currently goes beyond ascii will need some updating.
2. Since it will likely take an appreciable amount of time for
software to catch up with FOX 1.6, I do plan to keep FOX 1.4
around on maintainance status for quite some time. [the latest
bug-update was yesterday!].
3. FOX 1.4 is *very* solid code, and I highly recommend everyone
to update to this version, especially for mission-critical work;
it has some very nice additions, for example the new toolbar
docking stuff, editable tables, thumbnail icon viewing, and
4. While 1.6 is on a very tight schedule, it isn't out yet, and
since the introduction of unicode made some api's a bit fluid,
I don't think Lyle should work against it until it starts to
solidify into a 1.6; its liable to be a lot of work to stay
5. I already owe Lyle lunch [or was it steak dinner?] and I'm afraid
the tab's going to run a even higher with 1.6 ;-) ;-)
More information about the fxruby-users