[fxruby-users] Problems with examples

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Tue Jul 27 09:27:31 EDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 3:17 AM, Michael Wimmer wrote:

> Depending on your entry point to the fx ruby home page you are
> directed to different exampes pages with different exampes. (I came
> once from the fox-toolkit page and once from the fxruby page.)
>
> http://fxruby.sourceforge.net/doc/examples.html
> http://www.fxruby.org/doc/examples.html

Ugh. The latter link (for the fxruby.org domain) is the correct URL. I
need to ask Jeroen to fix that link from the FOX home page. Sorry about
this confusion.

> The difference is in the first view lines of code:

<snip>

> Which is the proper way to do it and if it is the ruby_gem example
> what did I miss because it throws me an error (win, latest version of
> Ruby installer from rubyforge).

For the stable release of FXRuby (version 1.0.29) which you are
running, the correct way to "load" the FXRuby extension is to use:

	require 'fox'

For the unstable, alpha release of FXRuby (version 1.2.1), which I
don't recommend your using at this time, the current method is:

	require 'rubygems'
	require_gem 'fxruby'

This may change, depending on how things progress with RubyGems.

> The userguide suggests me the second example (from the sourceforge
> linke) but from what I have read the currenet pages have been moved
> from sourceforge to rubyforge.

The FXRuby home pages are hosted at:

	http://www.fxruby.org

I paid good money for that domain name, and I want people to use it. ;)
And whether that address happens to resolve to a SourceForge.net or
RubyForge host is an implementation detail that you shouldn't need to
worry about. ;)

Hope this helps,

Lyle