[fxruby-users] "managed" canvas?

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Thu Jul 22 21:18:35 EDT 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 6:19 PM, Bil wrote:

>> Lyle said he wasn't going to put *what* in FXRuby?
>
> Sorry, a vague reference there (with some inference by me). I read
> something in the FXRuby docs. This is what made me think of starting
> this whole thread:
>
> 	Chapter 7. To-do list
> 	Many people have expressed interest in a framework similar
> 	to Tk's Canvas widget that allows you to draw and drag 2-D
> 	shapes around, etc. Should be able to implement this kind
> 	of thing directly in Ruby code (i.e. no need to write it in C++
> 	first and then "wrap" it).

Oh, OK.

I think what I was getting at was my opinion that it shouldn't be
necessary to first write a C++ widget and then wrap it, as is the case
for most of FXRuby. I was guessing that this kind of widget could be
written "directly" in Ruby by subclassing one of the existing FXRuby
classes (probably FXWindow or FXCanvas) and adding the magic. Of
course, if you (or someone else) went ahead and wrote said widget in
C++ anyways, and it was a good one, I'd go to the effort of "wrapping"
it for FXRuby, as has been previously done for FXScintilla.

Now, based on some of the other e-mails in this thread, I think I
jumped the gun and assumed that you were talking about some kind of
FOX-based widget, and I now understand that might not be the case.
That's cool, too, it still sounds like an interesting project. I wonder
if you've seen rasterman's Evas widget (part of the Enlightenment
project)?

	http://enlightenment.org/pages/evas.html

It's one I looked at about a year ago, and did some preliminary work on
wrapping it for FOX. I need to see if I can find that again. ;)

Lyle