[fxruby-users] "managed" canvas?

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Jul 22 15:18:08 EDT 2004

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Bil wrote:

> On 22/07/2004 at 14:18 Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
>> Certainly worth doing.  It would be a valuable thing to have.
>> As you point out, you'd learn from the experience, and you'd be
>> contributing (not least time and energy).   I expect you'll need to
>> discuss it on the FOX list, more so than the FXRuby list, though
> In truth, I wasn't planning to use C++/FOX to implement it.
> Obviously, though, it would make some sense to write it at a lower
> level to run a bit faster and allow it to be used by a lot more

This latter point is the strongest: a wider readership for your

> people. I didn't really want that extra effort which would be
> unnecessary for my purposes...I'll think again about that.

Consider it as you write the Ruby: there may be decisions you make
about the design which could make a move to C++ later easier.  I've
not done enough to suggest any examples.
> Lyle said somewhere that he was not going to put it in FXRuby
> since it could be implemented in pure Ruby. Based on my

If it were in FOX he almost certainly would include it, but that's
his decision, not mine of course!

> unoptimised prototype, FXRuby seems to be reasonably fast with
> graphics, even when double-buffering. I imagine it would not be
> fast enough to act as a basis for Macromedia Flash-type animations
> though *8-)*

So your second project will be the silicon compiler for Ruby :-)