[fxruby-users] "managed" canvas?

Lyle Johnson lyle at knology.net
Thu Jul 22 08:55:53 EDT 2004

On Jul 22, 2004, at 7:31 AM, Bil wrote:

> I am aware that people have, in the past, asked for a Tk-style canvas
> object that manages shapes (etc) within it. I'm currently doing some
> work with 2D vector graphics as part of my final year University
> project (so far you can draw/select/drag polygons/images and export as
> SVG). Would it make sense to put the extra effort in and make my own
> work more generically useful?
>
> I've been looking for an open-source project to get into for a while
> and this seems like one that would be useful for myself and probably
> for others. The problem is that I really am not a professional
> programmer (...yet) - I am sure I could get something that *worked*
> well enough, but whether it would be well designed (in terms of API or
> architecture) is another question. I feel in a lot of ways that I
> would be better joining an existing project (and learning at the feet
> of those in the know) rather than starting my own (and blazing my own
> trail!).

Well, the bottom line (for me) is that (1) a lot of people would be
interested in having this, and (2) no one's working on it. So yes, I
think people would be interested in it, whatever shape it's in.

One reality of most software projects is that the first cut ultimately
gets thrown away. So I wouldn't lose much sleep if your software
architecture and API aren't what you'd like for them to be; just
consider this one a prototype for the improved "version 2." And as you
are probably already aware, an advantage of the open source approach is
that you'll have (potentially) a lot of eyes looking at the code and
offering suggestions on how to improve it.