[fxruby-users] radiobuttons are weird in 1.2.x series

Bil bil.bas at virgin.net
Wed Jul 21 06:21:21 EDT 2004

On 21/07/2004 at 11:30 Yuri Leikind wrote:

>On 20 Jul 2004 13:09:55 -0000
>"lyle at knology.net" <lyle at knology.net> wrote:
>

>>      On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 13:08:03 +0300, Yuri Leikind
>>      <y.leikind at sam-solutions.net> wrote :
>>
>>      > Run groupbox.rb example in any of the two alpha versions and
>>      > click the radiobutton in the upper right group box (those named
>Hilvesum 1,
>>      > Hilversum 2, etc). You'll notice that once a radiobutton is
>checked,
>>      > it remains checked when some other radiobutton is checked.
>>      >
>>      > What's the reason?
>>
>>      Sounds like a bug in that example; the radio button behavior has
>changed in
>>      FOX 1.2. If you could, please file a bug report here:
>>
>>          http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?atid=1223&group_id=300&func=browse
>
>Yes, I was already prompted by Rich Lyman that GroupBox does not group
>RadioButtons any more,
>and I rewrote my radiobuttons code to use FXDataTarget. With an
>FXDataTarget object
>my radiobuttons work, but they are redrawn very slowly - a radiobutton is
>unchecked after
>a whole second after another was checked. I took a look at datatarget.rb
>and found out the following:

>disable
>  application.threadsEnabled = false
>
>With this code radiobuttons work well, but it disables threads. Since
>there's no more GroupBox
>magic, threaded FXRuby applications are now doomed to have slow
>radiobuttons if they use
> FXDataTarget objects.

I've had the same problem with data targets, and fixed them by disabling threads as you have (win2k/Ruby1.8.1/FXRuby1.0.28). I'm not sure, though, what exactly is disabled by this action. A client/server application of mine uses Ruby threads and synchonises with these threads using app.addTimeout (maybe not the best method, but fine for me). It seems to work fine without "threads"? I couldn't find any documentation as to what is actually affected.

bil