[fxruby-announce] Canvas to Postscript

Len Lawrence lcl at tarazed.demon.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 20:15:26 EDT 2008

In the absence of any directive regarding fxruby-users I shall have to
post this query here.

Having invested several months in learning and using fxruby as an
alternative to C/Tcl/Tk or rubytk I have started redeveloping some of
my homegrown programs for this new environment.  The most important is
paddb, an address label printer, which has used Tcl/Tk for the past 15
years to generate postscript files from a canvas.  FOX has the
FXDCPrint class which looks like it generates postscript output.  If
this is supported by fxruby can it be used
in conjunction with a canvas and, the real problem, how to copy that to a
postscript file?   If this sounds a bit confused it is because I am
In Tcl/Tk the canvas.postscript function handles all
that very easily (for the user).  Is there such a method in fxruby?  The
documentation available
suggests not.  Are there then any plans to incorporate such a facility
in fxruby?  If not I shall have to regress to rubytk, which I could
never get to work satisfactorily.  There are extra problems with that
in Mandriva 2008 to do with the adoption of TclTk8.5.  Mandriva's
rubytk is compiled against version 8.4 AFAIK.