[Facebooker-talk] Facebooker and existing website?

Prateek Dayal prateek.dayal at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 17:35:09 EDT 2008

Hi Tom

Thanks a ton

I was actually doing an 'include Facebooker' in one of the models
where i wanted to do 'include Facebooker::Helper' to use some of the
facebooker helpers to create some feeds etc for my application

I am only slowly and painfully realizing the importance of having some
kind of test coverage. In a rush to write more code I have been
skipping tests and lately it has been coming back to bite me :)

Thanks again

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 2:51 AM, Tom Lianza <tom at lianza.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 2:01 PM, Prateek Dayal <prateek.dayal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi David
> >
> > Thanks for the reply (and also for the excellent facebooker_tutorial
> > on facebook). I am afraid things just got a bit more complicated for
> > me.
> >

> > > In my experience diving into these types of issues in the Rails source
> tends
> > > to be a serious time sync.  Can you just change your User class to
> Member or
> > > something like that.
> >
> > On some more inspection, I found out the following
> >
> > 1. If I start my webserver and browse the website, everything works fine
> > 2. If i access the facebook app and then try to browse the website, I
> > start getting error for all models that I have. For example, I have a
> > group model and I do a Group.find() to load  a page and I get an error
> > on Facebooker::Group:Class. Looks like everything is being referenced
> > as Facebooker::
> >
> > Could this be related to any facebooker setting? I have a feeling that
> > the problem is not about two User class but about everything being
> > referenced in Facebooker module
> I use the restful_authentication plugin (which I think borrows from
> acts_as_authenticated), have a model named "User" and use the facebooker
> plugin without these issues, so I am fairly confident they can be resolved.
> Are you sure you're not doing a stray "include" of the Facebooker module
> somewhere?  That's kind of what it sounds like. AuthenticatedSystem is
> designed to be used via an 'include' in application.rb, but the facebooker
> plugin is not.
> Also, FWIW, I did end up creating an evil twin class of authenticated_system
> so that I could rewrite how login_from_session works, and allow it to
> auto-create facebook users if one is present.  If you think that code would
> be useful to you, let me know and I can send it to you.  I don't think it
> would help with this particular problem, though.
>   Tom

Prateek Dayal

get an audience