[Erector-devel] Erector 0.4.200 released

Jim Kingdon kingdon at panix.com
Wed Oct 15 21:22:44 EDT 2008

> The svn repo is the master

Yeah, that is my understanding too.  I've been running "git svn
dcommit" every time I commit something via git, which moves those
revisions over to svn.  I tried to run "git svn rebase" to move Alex's
recent svn checkins to git, but got edit conflicts (which didn't seem
to be true conflicts; they seemed to be git being confused about which
svn version to merge from).  Details enclosed.

> until and unless we decide to push releases and docs and stuff from
> github, with technical descriptions of such processes floated here and
> in the docs.

The big question mark in my mind is whether to just switch over to git
completely, or try to keep using git-svn.  The latter introduces a
fair bit of complexity, and it certainly is harder to learn git and
git-svn than to just learn git.  The question is whether we need to
enable people to contribute via svn, if there are some who don't want
to use git.

I'd be glad to try to help document whatever we come up with (although
how to document it depends on the answer to the git vs git-svn
question).  The way I set up my git directory was "git svn clone" (or
some such command - it involved fetching all the old revisions from
*subversion*) and I don't really understand that.  Can't developers
just run:

git clone git at github.com:pivotal/erector.git

or does that make it impossible to later dcommit or something?

> This would also involve making a new version numbering scheme that
> meets the requirements listed at
> http://erector.rubyforge.org/developers.html.

Incrementing the last number (z in x.y.z) by one with every release
would seem to work fine.  The policies for x and y could remain the
same.

I promised to paste in the git svn rebase error.  Here it is:

$ git svn rebase
First, rewinding head to replay your work on top of it...
HEAD is now at 66ba88f... documentation formatting tweaks
Applying Version 0.4.200.
error: patch failed: History.txt:1
error: History.txt: patch does not apply
error: patch failed: lib/erector/version.rb:1
error: lib/erector/version.rb: patch does not apply
Using index info to reconstruct a base tree...
Falling back to patching base and 3-way merge...
Auto-merged History.txt
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in History.txt
Auto-merged lib/erector/version.rb
CONFLICT (content): Merge conflict in lib/erector/version.rb
Failed to merge in the changes.
Patch failed at 0001.

When you have resolved this problem run "git rebase --continue".
If you would prefer to skip this patch, instead run "git rebase
--skip".
To restore the original branch and stop rebasing run "git rebase
--abort".

rebase refs/remotes/git-svn: command returned error: 1