[ditz-talk] ditz-trac update #2

William Morgan wmorgan-ditz at masanjin.net
Thu Feb 4 10:15:10 EST 2010

Reformatted excerpts from Sean Russell's message of 2010-01-31:
> Out of curiosity, how many people offer you patches?

Not that many at this point. Possibly because I have ignored people for
sufficiently long enough that they've gotten the hint. :)

Personally I find reviewing patches to be more work than writing code.
At least with your own code you understand it (at the time of writing),
and you don't have to come up with polite ways of rejecting substandard
contributions.

> Also, since I value your opinion on these matters, William -- what are
> you using now for issue management, and why?

I'm now using Roundup, but I don't like it. I haven't found anything
that I like. I do have some concrete ideas about what I want, and it's
pretty different from ditz, and also from every other project out there.
But I am doing my best to avoid starting yet another project that I
don't have time for.

> In fact, I'm increasingly convinced from what I've seen that software
> developers have no more -- and possibly less -- than a 50% stake in
> issue management; users have the other solid 50%.

Yes, I think you've hit the nail on the head, and unfortunately ditz has
pretty bad support for users. There was some work by _why (RIP) to get a
web interface to ditz going, called sheila, which would have mitigated
this issue somewhat, but I'm not sure by how much.

FWIW, although I think the ditz CLI and plugin architecture are the
bee's knees, the major reasons I stopped using ditz were because:
  a) the lack of a canonical, easily-readible short name for a bug really
     became irritating;
  b) I didn't like having three separate areas for issue discussion: in
     the commit logs, in the ditz logs, and the mailing list; and
  c) creating ditz issues for bug reports and feature requests from
     users was burdensome.

If I were to design another issue tracker today, I would probably go the
centralized route. There are some very nice things you get by being
distributed, but in the long the tradeoff isn't worth it.