[ditz-talk] Some Ditz thoughts

Nolan Darilek nolan at thewordnerd.info
Fri Sep 12 13:00:48 EDT 2008

Hey, folks. I've been hacking on Ditz for the past few weeks and had a
few thoughts I wanted to put out. Hacking time over the next 1.5 months
is going to be pretty limited, so I don't think I'll be able to get to
these anytime soon, but if no one runs with them then I likely will
eventually. :)

Has anyone considered changing the name of the default ditz directory
from bugs to something like .ditz? I like the idea of putting project
metadata--version control, issue-tracking, etc.--into hidden
.directories. Also, Ditz isn't just for bugs, so having a bugs directory
storing issues seems like a bit of a misnomer. :) Also, this correctly
identifies what program is needed to affect the issue metadata. If I
check out a project containing a bugs directory, I have to dig around a
bit to determine how it is maintained. If my project contains a .ditz
dir, though, that makes it a bit easier for new developers to google the
needed tool. I know this is currently possible via project configs, it
just seems like it might be a more sensible default.

Speaking of project configs, I like the idea of per-user and per-project
configuration. Perhaps it could work like git's config system--create a
config operator with a --global flag, merging project and global
defaults, though I could see a few problems with this scenario. I'd like
to store a global email address as well as specific addresses per
project, though project-specific email addresses should probably be
stored in the global configuration file to prevent one person from
accidentally changing and committing the project-specific config. Just
wondering if anyone had given this issue any thought?

I was also pondering the merging of standard and plugin config such that
there is only one file with a plugins: section. It'd be a hash with the
plugin name as key and a hash of config values for each plugin. This
would make removing a plugin and its config a snap, both programatically
and via the editor.

Anyhow, just a few thoughts. I'm sorry that I lack the time to work on
these just now, but perhaps they'll inspire someone else. :)