[ditz-talk] What about labels?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:29:49 EDT 2008

Excerpts from Christian Garbs's message of Tue Sep 02 22:24:47 +0200 2008:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2008 at 08:41:49PM +0200, Nicolas Pouillard wrote:
> > Excerpts from Christian Garbs's message of Mon Sep 01 19:53:20 +0200 2008:
>
> > > I don't really get what labels are.  How do they compare to tags
> > > for example?
>
> > They are the same thing, this term was chosen by gmail, and reused
> > by sup, so I keep this one.
>
> Tags/Labels are useful, I think.
>
> They could supersede components or the task/bug/issue type.
> One could also think of using tags like 'wontfix', 'security' or
> 'wishlist' like with the Debian bugs.

Right (except for wontfix that is a status and already supported to close an
issue).

> > > Will they be like tags but removing the "primary key" of the bugs?
>
> > In some way that's it.
>
> I don't think I'd like that :-)
>
> I like to have a unique identifier for an issue - even when it is a
> slowly-changing thing like the current ditz ids.  While the real ID is
> the long unique issue id, it's impractical because it is too long
> to type.  Something like "ditz-10" is easy to remember and use.

There is two things to don't confuse, the first one is about to enable labels
(as a plugin), the second is to remove components and types.

> If you remove the short issue id and introduce tags, how would that
> affect the workflow?

There is a decision to make when removing components:
  - use just the short id: @10
  - use the project name only: ditz-10
  - use the first label: backend-10, gui-42, wiki-21
  - use all labels: bug-backend-10, feature-gui-42, task-wiki-21

I think that the first one is the current direction.

> Currently I look at the ditz todos, choose an id (say, ditz-10) and
> then do "ditz start ditz-10".
>
> If I only have labels instead of this id, what will ditz todo show?
> Will an issue be listed five times if it has five labels?
> With which id will it be listed if it has now label at all?

Only once without labels for now, but when the todo view will be extensible
one could add them.

> Could you provide a fake "screenshot" of a label-enabled output of
> "ditz todo"?

For now it's the same as before:
  0.6 (unreleased):
  >  ditz-90: allow model object post-deserialization validation
  _  ditz-32: extended help for commands
  _  ditz-59: remove "references"

But it could become:
  0.6 (unreleased):