[ditz-talk] What about labels?

Nicolas Pouillard nicolas.pouillard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 04:21:42 EDT 2008

Excerpts from William Morgan's message of Wed Sep 03 05:23:55 +0200 2008:
> Reformatted excerpts from nicolas.pouillard's message of 2008-09-02:
> > Well, I've sent two merge requests. The first one is about to fix some
> > recent bugs in ditz found while testing labels, and an addition. The
> > second add the plugin for labels.
> I've merged them in. Thanks, good stuff. (I actually just committed the
> same fix as your e008483d). A couple comments:

> 1. What was the point of:
> -    @template_dir = File.dirname Ditz::find_ditz_file("share/ditz/index.rhtml")
> +    @template_dir = File.dirname Ditz::find_ditz_file("../share/ditz/index.rhtml")
>    Was something not working? Can I change it back? The behavior should
>    be identical...

The gem was not working for me, the root dir seems to not be in path, but lib
is. That's why ../ make it works for me.

> 2. The problem with storing the label objects in project.yaml is that if
>    two people both add a label, that file will conflict. So I think it
>    would be better to recreate the Label objects on the fly when the
>    project is loaded in.

Yes but but having labels as true true entities makes things safer. Since no
longer can label an issue with an ill typed label.

>    If you do that, you might not even need to serialize the Label object
>    itself. Components, releases, etc are just stored as strings in issue
>    objects, which makes the YAML easier to read and modify.

That part makes sense, I will try to serialize them as strings.

>    (Components and releases are scheduled to move out of project.yaml
>    too---see issue 80c02356).

Does my argument on checking against valid components/releases/labels makes
sense to you?

> 3. I'd prefer add-label instead of new-label, in line with add-release,
>    add-component, etc. Even better would be to just drop that step
>    entirely, and have 'ditz label' autocreate the label.

Yes I got the idea, but auto creation have the issue mentioned before.
BTW there is one more thing against this step, the set of
releases/components/labels is harder to get, you have to take all issues in
account to know them.

The new-label instead of add-label was to avoid confusion, because add-label
could mean "add a label on an issue".

Best regards,

Nicolas Pouillard aka Ertai